Alocasia amazonica "Polly", also known as Elephant Ear or African Shield, is a tropical perennial houseplant. While Alocasia Polly is a hybrid created relatively recently with mixed origin stories, the genus Alocasia is native to tropical rainforest climates in India, Southeast Asia, southern China, and southern Pacific islands. About seventy species fall within the genus Alocasia. This beautiful indoor plant features large, waxy leaves in the shape of an arrowhead protruding from long single stems. Leaves are a deep green with silver veining and have a rich purple underside.
Alocasia amazonica require moderate care, but reward plant parents with large, beautifully patterned foliage. Each leaf has a unique shape, and the plant is ornate enough to decorate a space. They grow best where they get plenty of bright, indirect light or in partial shade. Being the tropical plants that they are, Alocasia should be watered regularly so that the soil is always at least slightly moist but never dry. They do best in high humidity areas such as kitchens and well-lit bathrooms.
- Common names: Polly, Elephant Ear, African Shield, African Mask Plant
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Plant Type: tropical perennial foliage
- Growth: average growth 1-2 feet tall
- Warnings: toxic to pets and humans
- Note: live plant size may vary, no two plants are alike
- Rare find! Perfect gift for the Urban Jungle plant parent
22" H 7.5" L 7.5" D