Ficus elastica, also known as India Rubber plant or India Rubber Fig, is native to the tropical rain forests of Malaysia, South America, and India. In its native environment they can grow up to 100ft tall, but for the common house plant its range is usually around one to eight feet in height. The Rubber Tree received its name from the white sap that oozes from its leaves and stems which has been used to produce rubber since the early 1900s. Burgundy is a cultivar of Ficus elastica. This indoor plant has a sturdy, tree-like stem with dark green and burgundy tinted oval leaves which are thicker than other house plants and have a beautiful natural shine.
Rubber plants are quite popular and generally easy to care for, although this variety requires more light than other Ficus trees. To help preserve the rich burgundy and emerald tones, place Ficus Burgundy in brightly lit areas out of direct sunlight. They are happy when kept in moderate temperatures and with slightly moist soil. It’s best to use a well-draining soil and only water once it’s dry to the touch. It’s a slow growing tree that once matured, is a beautiful addition to any room.
- Common names: Ficus Burgundy, Rubber Plant, Rubber Fig, Indian Rubber Tree
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Variety: tropical perennial foliage
- Growth: average growth 1-8 feet tall
- Warning: Mildly toxic to pets and children
- Note: live plant size may vary, no two plants are alike
- Perfect gift for the Urban Jungle plant parent
18" H 7" L 7" D