Zamioculcas zamiifolia, also known as Zanzibar Gem or most commonly as ZZ, is an aroid plant native to the forests and grasslands of eastern Africa. The ZZ plant is unique in that it can be propagated from a single leaf, though the most common method is to divide its rhizomes as it grows. The ZZ plant has a unique, bulbous root system that acts as a water reserve and aids in drought tolerance. Glossy compound leaves grow out from the rhizomes of this houseplant. New growth emerges as a bright light green before turning a deep shade of emerald.
ZZ plants are perfect for beginner plant parents and are all around popular house plants for multiple reasons. The plant’s slow growth makes it perfect for growing in pots, and dividing the plant is easy when it comes time to repot or make more room. While they do best with bright indirect light, they are adaptable and tolerate partial shade and low light conditions. ZZ are happiest in a well-draining soil. They should be watered thoroughly when the soil is dry, but are forgiving of infrequent waterings, making them perfect for plant parents who are just learning or do not have as much time to spend on their plants as they would like.
- Common names: ZZ Plant, Zanzibar gem, Zuzu plant, Ariod Palm, Eternity Plant, Emerald Palm
- Difficulty: Easy
- Plant Type: tropical perennial foliage
- Growth: average growth 3-4 feet tall
- Warning: Toxic to pets and humans
- Note: live plant size may vary, no two plants are alike
- Perfect gift for the Urban Jungle beginner plant parent
14" H 4.5" L 4.25" D